Sunday, November 9, 2008

Microsoft PowerPoint – not ‘future compatible’

I was working over the weekend on an important presentation, using MS Office for Mac. As always, I was (or thought I was) careful, saving drafts and backups every few minutes…

I finished the presentation, just in time for breakfast with the family, and sent it to my team.
Few minutes later, I get a response that they cannot open the file.

“Strange… I just saved it”, I thought out loud.

When I tried to open the original file I got this message:


I checked my backup files, as well as any recovery files in the system folder – they all were corrupted…

My response included a big “F…” + few words in Arabic, Hebrew, Russian and 3 other languages I just invented for the occasion.

I called some friends and tried to retrieve/save at least the text from the files…

Finally, I changed the mime type from PPTX to PPT and the files opened.
Just to be clear – the latest format was not working, while an previous format was.

Now, when I can smile and learn from this experience, I can say that MS PowerPoint for Mac is not 'future compatible'…

Probably the only application that do not support its own newer formats…

E.T.

No comments: